Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Feeling the spirit


I caved on the weekend and decided to buy Olympic mittens. I figured it was the "Canadian" thing to do.

On an unrelated note, today was Madeline's one-year check up. She weighed in at a whopping 19lbs, which is heavier than I expected (her brother weighed more than that at 6months though!). She was none impressed with the needles. It was a very heart-broken cry. Afterwards, I could see her scanning the whole clinic as though to imprint every detail in her memory and never trust the place again.

Tonight I went grocery shopping. By myself. No kids. Nobody. Just me. It was almost exciting, and I felt like I was getting away with something. I never knew that grocery shopping could be so relaxing and therapeutic. At what point does grocery shopping become recreational? I'm feeling very old. It takes me back to the days when I worked at Valdi's and I would see some of my friends' mothers grocery shopping. On a Friday night of all things...and I couldn't understand why they seemed almost happy to be grocery shopping...?? Now I understand.

I stopped at the local convenience store on the way home to get some Halls. The owner is there 24/7. I don't know how he manages. I don't go there often, but he always asks me if I want to buy a lottery ticket. Someone always won several million from his store last week (Hey, I took Math, I know a bit about odds). I also always feel like I'm in the presence of organized crime for some reason.

1 comment:

  1. I love those mittens. I wish I had bought some.
    I also really enjoy grocery shopping now. Who knew it was an escape. LOL

    ReplyDelete